An initiative of: Stiftung Mercator and the Volkswagen Stiftung, Foundation, Bertelsmann Stiftung, Freudenberg Foundation, Robert Bosch Stiftung, Stifterverband and Vodafone Foundation Germany. The SVR’s Annual Report 2020 is being funded by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community.
Prof. Dr. Daniel Thym
Daniel Thym is Professor of Public, European and International Law at the University of Konstanz and Director of the university’s Research Centre for Immigration & Asylum Law (FZAA). His work focuses on German, European and international immigration and refugee law, issues related to citizenship and integration, the development of the European Union as well as basic legal protection in Germany and Europe. He is a key researcher in the Excellence Cluster “Cultural Principles of Integration” at the University of Konstanz.
Professional background (excerpt):
- Studies in law in Regensburg, Paris X and at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, 1994–1999
- Master of Laws at King’s College in London, 2000–2001
- PhD in "Ungleichzeitigkeit und Europäisches Verfassungsrecht" (Supranational Differentiation and European Constitutional Law) at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin (awarded the 'Humboldt-Prize'), 2003
- Postgraduate judicial service traineeship (Referendariat) at the High Court of Berlin, the Federal Ministry of Justice (European Law Department) and at the Federal Foreign Office (German Permanent Representation to the EU), 2002–2004
- Research assistant at the Walter-Hallstein-Institute for European Constitutional Law at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, 2000 and 2001–2005
- Visiting fellow at the British Institute of International and Comparative Law, 2005–2006
- Academic co-ordinator of the graduate programme "Constitutionalism Beyond the State: European Experiences and Global Perspectives" and research assistant at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, 2005–2009
- Postdoctoral qualification for teaching at university level (Habilitation) at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin with a thesis on Migration Governance through Administrative Law, 2009
- Professor of public, European and international law at the University of Konstanz, since 2010
- Director of the Research Centre for Immigration & Asylum Law (FZAA) at the University of Konstanz, since 2010
- Key researcher in the Excellence Cluster "Cultural Principles of Integration" at the University of Konstanz, since 2012