An initiative of: Stiftung Mercator and the VolkswagenStiftung, Bertelsmann Stiftung, Freudenberg Foundation, Robert Bosch Stiftung, Stifterverband and Vodafone Foundation Germany. The SVR’s Annual Report 2020 is being funded by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community.
Prof. Dr. Hans Vorländer
Hans Vorländer holds the Chair for Political Theory and the History of Political Thought at the Technische Universität Dresden. He is founder and director of the Center for the Study of Constitutionalism and Democracy and of the Mercator Forum on Migration and Democracy at the Technische Universität Dresden. Prof. Vorländer is a Member of the Federal Government’s Expert Commission on the Framework Conditions for Integration.
- Studies in Law, Political Science and Philosophy at the Universities of Bonn and Geneva, 1975–1980
- Ph. D. degree at the University of Bonn, 1980
- Research Associate and Kennedy Memorial Fellow at Harvard University (Cambridge, Mass./USA) in 1984/85 and in 1986/87
- Professor of Political Science at the University of Dresden (Chair for Political Theory and the History of Political Ideas), since 1993
- Dean of the Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences and Senator at the University of Dresden, 1997–2000
- President of the German Association of Political Science, 2001–2003
- Visiting Professor and Directeur d'études at the École Pratique des Hautes Études, Paris, 2001 and 2006
- Chairman of the Scientific Council of the German Federal Agency for Civic Education, 2001–2005
- Deputy Speaker of the Collaborative Research Center 537 “Institutionalität und Geschichtlichkeit/Institutionality and Historicity”, 2000–2008
- Founder and Director of the Center for the Study of Constitutionalism and Democracy, since 2007
- Founder and Speaker/Chairman of the Collaborative Research Center 804 “Transzendenz und Gemeinsinn/Transcendence and Common Sense” at the Technische Universität Dresden, 2009–2014
- Visiting Professor at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM) and at the Instituto Technológico Autónomo de México (ITAM), Mexico City, 2010
- Founder and Director of the Mercator Forum on Migration and Democracy, funded by the Mercator Foundation, since 2017