The Expert Council of German Foundations on Integration and Migration is based on an initiative of the Stiftung Mercator and the Volkswagen Foundation. The initiative includes seven member foundations. In addition to the Stiftung Mercator and the Volkswagen Foundation, the member foundations are: Bertelsmann Stiftung, Freudenberg Foundation, Robert Bosch Stiftung, Stifterverband and Vodafone Foundation Germany.
Prof. Dr. Christian Joppke
Christian Joppke is Professor of Sociology at the University of Bern. His fields of expertise include the comparative study of immigration and integration policies, as well as religion, citizenship, and multiculturalism.
Professional background (excerpt):
- Chair of General Sociology at the University of Bern, since 2010
- Professor of Political Science, American University of Paris, 2006–2010
- Professor, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, International University Bremen (now: Jacobs University Bremen), 2004–2006
- Professor, Department of Anthropology and Sociology, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, 2003–2004
- Visiting Scholar, Russell Sage Foundation, New York, 2002–2003
- Professor, Department of Political and Social Sciences, European University Institute, Florence, 1995–2002
- Assistant Professor, Department of Sociology at the University of Southern California, 1990–1994
- PhD at the University of California at Berkeley, 1989
- Studies in sociology at the FU Berlin and the University of Frankfurt, 1978–1984