The Expert Council of German Foundations on Integration and Migration is based on an initiative of the Stiftung Mercator and the Volkswagen Foundation. The initiative includes seven member foundations. In addition to the Stiftung Mercator and the Volkswagen Foundation, the member foundations are: Bertelsmann Stiftung, Freudenberg Foundation, Robert Bosch Stiftung, Stifterverband and Vodafone Foundation Germany.
Prof. Dr. Claudia Diehl
Claudia Diehl is Professor of Sociology at the University of Konstanz. Her fields of expertise are international population movements, socio-cultural and identification-related integration processes of immigrants (with a special focus on generational change), as well as ethnic demarcation processes such as xenophobia and discrimination. Prof. Dr. Diehl is a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee for Family Affairs at the German Federal Ministry of Family Affairs, Senior Citizens, Women and Youth.
Professional background (excerpt):
- Professor of Sociology (focus: micro-sociology) at the University of Konstanz, since April 2013
- Professor of Sociology (focus: migration and ethnicity) at the University of Göttingen, 2009–2013
- Junior Professor of Migration and Ethnicity at the University of Göttingen’s Department of Sociology, 2006–2009
- Academic Counsellor at the German Federal Institute for Population Research, 2002–2006
- Research fellowship from the German Research Foundation (DFG) for a period of residence at the State University of New York (SUNY) at Albany, USA, 2001
- Research Associate at the Mannheim Centre for European Social Research and the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Mannheim, 1995–2001
- PhD thesis on the participation of migrants in Germany, 2001
- Studies in sociology and psychology at the University of Mannheim and Indiana University Bloomington, USA, 1988–1996