An initiative of: Stiftung Mercator and the VolkswagenStiftung, Bertelsmann Stiftung, Freudenberg Foundation, Robert Bosch Stiftung, Stifterverband and Vodafone Foundation Germany. The SVR’s Annual Report 2020 is being funded by the Federal Ministry of the Interior, Building and Community.
Prof. Dr. Petra Bendel
Petra Bendel is Professor of Political Science and Academic Director of the Centre for Area Studies at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg. Her fields of expertise include the European and German refugee and asylum system as well as integration policy at various political levels. Petra Bendel is Chair of the Advisory Council of the Federal Office of Migration and Refugees (BAMF), a Member of the Federal Government’s Expert Commission on the Framework Conditions for Integration and an advisor for various expert committees.
- Academic Director of the Centre for Area Studies at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg since 1997
- Guest and substitute professor at the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg 2010 and 2011; offered professorship for International Relations and European Policy in 2012 (declined)
- Researcher at the Institute for Ibero-American Studies (today: ILAS) in Hamburg 1992–1996
- Researcher at the Institute of Political Science of the Ruprecht-Karls-University of Heidelberg 1989–1992 and 1996–1997
- Postdoctoral research at the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology at the Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg 2008 with a paper on European migration politics.
- PhD in Political Science, English Studies and Romance Studies from the University of Heidelberg 1996
- Studied in Heidelberg 1984–1992